Nowadays, the OTT platforms are attracting most internet users. In recent years, the OTT has raised the bar for the entertainment industry and perform extremely well. During the covid-19 when all the movie theatres were shut at that time most of the people moved toward the OTT platforms. Flexibility to watch and the quality of the content are the key reason why these online platforms impress people. The rapid popularity of online platforms sparks the discussion of OTT vs Theatre. OTT till 2021 does not have any regulating authority to censor inappropriate things streaming on online platforms. And that’s why OTT platforms become so popular because they present things at an extreme level that is accepted by the audience.
Theatres were closed for almost two years. But that is not the only reason why people start loving the OTT platform. The kind of art and craft cinema presented in recent times is not welcomed by the audience. People do not want the same romantic drama or over-VFX fighting scenes they want something real. OTT is able to pull off that requirement quite easily. Let us understand the OTT vs Theatre topics in detail.
What Is OTT?
OTT stands for “Over the Top” which refers to delivering the content using online services. Content creators use the popular streaming channels of the web to serve their work. There are many popular OTT platforms available some of them are, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Youtube. OTT is not new we are using them for more than a decade now but during the time of Covid, this industry witnessed a great amount of user attraction. Not only in video streaming some audio streaming platforms like Saavan, and Spotify has also performed better in the last couple of years.
Facts of OTT and Theater
- It is estimated that Till 2024 India has 1 Billion OTT users.
- Recently, Viacom18 bought the OTT streaming rights of IPL for 23,758 crores.
- OTT industry generates revenue of 20 billion in 2020 and 31 Billion in 2021. It is expected that in 2022 this industry will earn more than 46 Billion in India only.
- Online gaming saw a growth of 18% from the last year.
- Digital Media Market in India will touch 424 Billion Rupees market by the end of 2022.
- Disney+hotstar is the biggest OTT platform in India with 29% of users.
- In 2022 more than 53 million subscribers are paying subscribers.
- Despite Covid, the Indian theatre market will touch 182 billion Indian rupees market.
- The Indian film industry is the biggest entertainment industry in the world.
- In 2022 films like KGF2 and RRR made the cinema alive and collected a huge amount of money.
Why OTT is Good?
- Ott platforms are cheaper than the theatre. The average cost of the monthly subscription to the ott platform is around 149 to 199 in India. Where the cost of a single ticket in multiplex starts from 249/- in small cities. So people found ott more cost-effective and beneficial.
- Content is the king and that is the universal truth. In the past few years, ott has pulled off content that is relatable, extreme, and entertaining. On the other hand, Bollywood is still making the same kind of old movies or bad copies of original content.
- OTT gives the flexibility to watch the content at any time from anywhere. Working professionals who do not have time for watching movies or shows. They favor it because they can watch the content at any time.
- OTT is promoting promising actors and most numbers of users want to see deserving actors.
- OTT has an advantage of the time duration. The average duration of a web series is 7-9 hours on the other side the average duration of a movie is 2-3 hours. So OTT can deliver the content in a more detailed way in comparison to theatre movies.
- Attention spans time, after the introduction of social media people, need something interesting every minute and if they fail to find it they feel bored. OTT is giving a thrill to the audience and they feel interested throughout the show.
Also Check: – GD Topics
Why Theatre is Better Option against the OTT?
- In recent times few movies like RRR. KFG2 has shown why the theater is better than the OTT platforms. because there are certain films which you can enjoy in theaters only.
- Theatre gives you a different and immersive experience which can not be possible on the OTT. A big screen, amazing sound quality, and an atmosphere that only you can feel in the theatre.
- Theatre has a regulating authority censor board who is there to check whether the content of the movie is watchable or not. If not then they cut the scenes which are offensive. on the other side, OTT content creators use abusive language, and nudity, and glorify the crime that can hurt the sentiment of others. Like last year the web series Tandav faces criticism for its content related to lord shiva.
- 3d and 5d movies are the future of entertainment and enjoying them at home is not that much interesting. And that will always ve the plus point for cinemas in Theatre vs OTT fight.
- Theatre is giving employment opportunities to many people who are skilled or unskilled. So going to the theatre indirectly helps them in earning the money for their living.
Conclusion: OTT or Theatre
Both are a platform where artist delivers their content and perform to entertain the audience. Yes in recent times OTT dominated the entertainment industry but it happed with all industries during the time of Covid that digital platforms took over the traditional platforms. Yes, that is also the fact that cinema failed to deliver quality content and OTT kept on doing this. But now when some movies deliver that content we have seen that they receive love from the audience. Also, the Theatre industry is quite big and the OTT platform needs to do a lot of work to reach there. Online streaming platforms are required to deliver amazing content if they want to win OTT vs Theatre competition.
In the discussion of OTT against the theatre or vice versa, the best content serving platform will win the race. Right now OTT is delivering that quite beautifully but some content creators are promoting violence and nudity which will not acceptable to a large audience. If movies are able to cater to the audience’s preferences well then people will choose them also. So what to choose between them is a subjective choice because everyone has different tastes.
FAQs – OTT vs Theater Group Discussion
OTT plateform serving the content online via varous streaming channels and on the other hand theater using the offline method. Also OTT plateform charge amount on the basis of monthy and yearly subscripiton in differnet plans where Theater charge amount per ticket to the auidence.
Theater industry is quite big in numbers and for OTT its not easy to replace the theaters. Yes, OTT will make its own place in the market but it will never able to replace the theaters.
Yes, OTT will present the content of cinema in future. Although it will not replace the theatres but at a centain level it will impact the market of theatres. By the end of 2024 Indian digital media market will reach the 1 trillion market cap.
One of the major problems with ott plateform is controversy and many times they have presented the things which hurt the sentimens of others in name of creativity. Like Tandav webseries face the huge crtitsim for making fun of Indian lord Shiva.
Read More: Trending GD Topics