About CAT ExamCAT 2023 Exam - The Complete Guide
What is CAT Exam?
CAT is Common Admission Test or CAT is a computer-based aptitude test. It is an aptitude exam designed to take admission to management courses offered by some top management institutes in India. It is one of the most renowned and toughest entrance exams in India. CAT Exam is considered one of the major events of management studies in India. Every year this exam is scheduled on the last Sunday of November and this year the exam of CAT will be conducted on Nov. 26, 2023 . In total, more than 2,00,000 candidates appear every year in the exam and only the top 5000 get the chance of studying in IIMs. Not only IIMs but over 1300 Business Schools in India consider the result of this exam for admission.
The selection criteria for admission through this entrance exam are different for each institute. Each of the IIMs or any participating institute has its own guidelines for accepting admission through CAT. CAT is conducted by one of the IIMs and in 2023 IIM Bangalore will be the host this time. The notification about the CAT 2023 is declared on 02 August 2023 . CAT is considered the most prestigious admission test for PGP/PGDM/MBA and similar management courses offered by IIMs and non-IIMs colleges in India. There are 20 IIMs in Indiathat offer various management courses for admission.
Important Updates of CAT Exam 2023
Registration of CAT 2023
CAT Registration for the 2023 exam will be started on August 02, 2023 , and the registration window will remain open till September 13, 2023 . In order to fill up, the CAT application form candidates need to register themselves for the exam. The process of CAT registration is completely online and the application form will be available on the official IIM website.
CAT Exam Eligibility
The candidate must satisfy the following conditions for CAT Eligibility:
- The candidate should have a graduation degree of minimum three-year duration, having not less than 50% marks, 45% in case of Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), and Persons with Disability (PWD) /Differently Abled (DA).
- The graduation degree should have been granted by any of the universities formed by an act of the parliament or assembly (central or state statutory body in India) or other educational establishments constructed by an act of Parliament or announced to be deliberated as a university under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or retain an equal qualification documented by the Ministry of Education, Govt. of India.
- Candidates appearing for the final year of graduation degree/equivalent qualification examination and the individuals who have finished degree requisites and are expecting results can also apply for cat exam. On selection, such students will be permitted to join the program provisionally, and they need to present a certificate by June 30, from the principal/registrar of their college/institute mentioning that the student has finished all the requirements for acquiring a four-year or three-year degree.
CAT 2023 Exam Syllabus
The syllabus of the exam is divided into three major sections.
- VARC (Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension) - Reading Comprehension, Para Summary, Odd One Out, Para Jumbles
- DILR (Data Interpretation& Logical Reasoning) - Binary Logic, Arrangements, Team Formation, Bar Graph, Radar Chart, Column Graph, Routes and Network, Bubble Chart, Data Caselets - Reasoning-Based DI, Ven Diagram, Pie chart, tables
- QA (Quantitative Ability) - Number System, Airthmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Mensuration, Morden Mathematics
Learn More About CAT 2023 Syllabus
Exam Pattern and Marking Scheme for CAT Exam 2023
The duration of this entrance exam is 2 hours (120 minutes ) and overall66 questions were asked in 2023 exam. It is an MCQ-based exam conducted in an online mode. For every right answer, the candidate will get 3 marks and 1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer. Extra 13 minutes will be provided to PWD applicants in each section to complete their exam.
The cutoff of CAT is declared by the Institute itself based on many factors like seat availability, courses applied, number of applications, exam level, and number of candidates. Generally, the top IIMs like IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, or IIM Calcutta have a very high cutoff between 99 to 100 percentile. On the other hand, the Baby IIMs or new IIMs have a lower CAT cutoff between 87 to 93. Also, all the institutes declare two cutoffs one is a qualifying cutoff and the other is a final cutoff.
Learn More About CAT Cut-Off
Why MBA Aspirants Must Appear For CAT?
The main reason why MBA aspirants should appear for this exam is to get admission to top prestigious colleges like IIMs, IITs, FMS, IMT, etc. These top institutes not only provide the best management programs for students but also offer placements into top companies with high salary packages. These colleges are considered the Best ROI colleges in India. Admission to these colleges can open the door to a bright future and inspiring life for them. Most importantly this exam will teach them how to handle pressure and competition.
Courses Offerd By IIMs through CAT Exam 2023
PGP, PGP-FABM, ePGD-ABA (ePost Graduate Diploma in Advanced Business Analytics)
PGP, PGPEM, PGPBA
MBA, MBA-Business Analytics, MBA-HRM, EMBA
PGP, PGP-HRM, MSDSM (Master of Science in Data Science and Management)
MBA, MBA (Hospital Administration & Healthcare Management (Jointly with AIIMS Jammu and IIT Jammu), Executive MBA (Blended Mode)
PGP, PGP-ABM, PGP-SM, PGPWE
MBA, MBA (Analytics), EMBA, EMBAA (Executive Master of Business Administration Analytics)
PGP, PGP-BL, PGP-F, PGP-LSM, EPGP Kochi
MBA, MBA (Executive)
PGP, PGP-HRM, PGP (Business Analytics)
MBA, Executive MBA
PGP, PGPEX, MBA (WE)
MBA, MBA (T&HM), ExMBA (Digital Transformation & Analytics)
PGPM & PGPM-HR
MBA, MBA-DEM, MBA-GSCM, PGDBAWE
PGP, PGPEx, PGPDGM
Preparation Resources for CAT Exam 2023
|IIM Ahmedabad||PGP, PGP-FABM, ePGD-ABA (ePost Graduate Diploma in Advanced Business Analytics)|
|IIM Bnagalore||PGP, PGPEM, PGPBA|
|IIM Amritsar||MBA, MBA-Business Analytics, MBA-HRM, EMBA|
|IIM Indore||PGP, PGP-HRM, MSDSM (Master of Science in Data Science and Management)|
|IIM Jammu||MBA, MBA (Hospital Administration & Healthcare Management (Jointly with AIIMS Jammu and IIT Jammu), Executive MBA (Blended Mode)|
|IIM Lucknow||PGP, PGP-ABM, PGP-SM, PGPWE|
|IIM Kashipur||MBA, MBA (Analytics), EMBA, EMBAA (Executive Master of Business Administration Analytics)|
|IIM Kozhikode||PGP, PGP-BL, PGP-F, PGP-LSM, EPGP Kochi|
|IIM Nagpur||MBA, MBA (Executive)|
|IIM Ranchi||PGP, PGP-HRM, PGP (Business Analytics)|
|IIM Rohtak||PGP, EPGDSM|
|IIM Sambalpur||MBA, Executive MBA|
|IIM Shillong||PGP, PGPEX, MBA (WE)|
|IIM Sirmaur||MBA, MBA (T&HM), ExMBA (Digital Transformation & Analytics)|
|IIM Tiruchirappalli||PGPM & PGPM-HR|
|IIM Udaipur||MBA, MBA-DEM, MBA-GSCM, PGDBAWE|
|IIM Visakhapatnam||PGP, PGPEx, PGPDGM|
Few of NON IIMs accepting CAT score
- Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), University of Delhi
- Indian School of Business, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT)
- Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS)
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE)
- S.P. Jain Institute of Management & Research (SPJIMR)
- XLRI Xavier School of Management (XLRI)
- TAXILA - Jaipur
- Indian Institute of Management Indore (IIMI)
- MDI GURGAON
FAQs Regarding CAT 2023 Exam
Que. What is the Full Form of CAT? Ans. The full name for CAT in Common Admission Test. It is conducted for the admission in management courses offered by various Top MBA colleges in India.
Que. What is CAT Exam? Ans. CAT is the computer-based skill assessment test for the admission process into top Business schools in India. It is conducted every year in the month of November.
Que. What is the Difficulty level of the CAT? Ans. The difficulty level of the exam is moderate to high. Every Section in the exam carries equal difficulty. It gives more emphasis on evaluating the aptitude-related skills of the candidates.
Que. What is the exam Date of CAT? Ans. CAT 2023 exam date is 27, November 2023. CAT result was declared on 21 December 2023 by IIM Bangalore.
Que. What is the CAT cutoff last year? Ans. Last year’s cutoff for the general students is 99 to 100 percentile for IIMs. Cut off for the aspirants of a reserved category is around 97 to 98 percentile. And other colleges have their own criteria for admission through this exam cutoff. Check out the list of non-iim Colleges accepting cat cut off for MBA admission.
Que. What is the CAT 2023 fees? Ans. The fees of the CAT application form is 2300/- INR for the general category and 1150/- INR for SC, ST, and OBC students..
Que. Who can apply for the CAT? Ans. A person with a minimum of 50% marks in the graduation degree (For general and OBC) and 45 % for SC-ST caste is eligible for the exam.